For the larger part of 2018 and 2019 there are trends that came and had their time and they seem to have taken a vacation to some place no one knows. And being a nutritionist I will talk in the line of health and lifestyle
Okra — ‘The lady’s fingers’
First it was okra, there was a time where you would not move 100 meters in Kampala without seeing a girl with a water bottle that contained some green french bean like things in her bottle. The water would be slimy but that did not matter. As word would have it most took it with the promise that it is a very good lubricator and who would not want to make things better down there hence the popularity of this vegetable. Whether it delivered this promise or not we don’t know but towards the end of 2019, it seemed to have lost it’s fame. Here are some of the benefits of okra, and based on these you will decide whether to give it one more chance or not.
- Did you know that Okra is actually a fruit? A fruit is defined as anything that contains seeds and since Okra has seeds it qualifies to be a fruit, but because it lacks the sweetness of a mango or a strawberry, it is regarded as a vegetable.
2. Okra is also known as ladies’ fingers perhaps the reason it is famous among the female generation.
3. When storing okra for later use, never wash it as the moisture will cause it to become slimy. Instead, put in a paper bag and refrigerate.
4. Okra doesn’t have to be cooked to be eaten. This is why many opted to put it straight away in drinking water.
5. This small vegetable is a superfood. It is low in calories, but high in calcium, protein, carbohydrates, fat, fiber, and magnesium. It also contains a good dose of vitamins C, K, and A, and can enhance the immune system.
6. Okra has many health benefits and has been found to reduce asthma symptoms, prevent diabetes, relieve constipation, and help those suffering from exhaustion and depression.
7. Okra can keep skin smooth and help prevent pimples as well as rejuvenate hair. For your hair, just slice okra horizontally, boil until it becomes very slimy, cool the brew, mix with a few drops of lemon, and then rinse your hair out with it.
So the ball is in your court, now that you know of what benefit okra is, you may decide to bring it back to your diet or not.
This was another that took the country by a storm though this was mostly attributed to the aggressive marketing that was done by those that were dealing in it. Given its relatively fair affordability the market was flooded with these small black and or grey things. It was a wonder food many were told. But again like all things, they come and have their time and in a short while the excitiment is gone and we move on. So here is what you did not know about chia seeds
1. Chia seeds are a nutritional punch made up of protein, fat and dietary fibre. In addition there is a mountain of minerals including calcium, magnesium, iron, and phosphorous.
2. Tiny as they are, chia seeds are packed with loads of fiber. They have about 20% of the fiber which is soluble. The beauty about soluble fiber is that it promotes a healthy digestive system by feeding the good microbes in your gut.
3. Chia seeds have a capacity of absorbing alot of water which means they bulk up and give you a full feeling for longer. So many on weight loss journeys, this is a very good way to deal with those hunger spells.
Let us not throw away trends before we get the best from them as much as possible. I will soon share some of my favorite recipes using okra and chia seeds. Be on the look out.